Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Weight Watcher's Provides "Cooking-Light" Tips

A few years ago, I did the points program from Weight Watchers' a few years ago.  It was a good program and worked for me, but the only reason I bring it up is that since I started the program (and ended it), I have been on their e-mailing list.  Some of the stuff has been useful, so I didn't see any reason to unsubscribe.  Anyway, that brings me to today's post...Weight Watchers' sent me an article this morning of twenty-four tips to lighten up your cooking, ways to reduce calories while improving texture and using "highly flavored" ingredients to lower calories of some of your favorite dishes.  Here are a few of my favorites.

1.  Butter or oil substitutes for cookies or cakes--they recommend no more than 1/3 of the total amount--for light batters, applesauce, for chocolaty batters, pureed prunes.  Two that I hadn't thought of that WW says to try are pureed pumpkin or pureed sweet potato.

2.  My sister, Deb, uses this tip for root veggies and brussel sprouts.  Sprinkle or mix the vegetables (peppers, carrots, onions..)with some olive oil, sprinkle them with salt (and pepper if you like) and roast them in the oven.  The process brings out the flavor and natural sweetness.

3.  Try fresh herbs, strong spices, citrus juices, relishes and chilis to add flavor when you reduce the fat in a recipe to replace the flavor.

4.  Thicken soup with prepared instant mashed potatoes or pureed cooked potatoes.  It is a fat-free alternative to cream.

5.  They also recommend thickening gravy with pureed cooked potatoes.

6.  Replace mayo in chicken, pasta, egg or tuna salad with plain low fat yogurt or pureed silkened tofu.  To add flavor use spices and vegetables.

7.  Use seasoned oats, cornmeal or corn flakes to coat your fish or chicken, instead of bread crumbs.

These are just 7 of the 24 tips Weight Watchers' offers.  Feel free to check the rest of them here.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment