Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Random Uses for Every Day Items in Your Kitchen

I love finding different uses for stuff I already have in my house which might potentially make my life easier.  The idea of re-purposing stuff is very "green." My Real Simple magazine comes up with suggestions every month.  Here are a few items that you have in your kitchen:

1.  Non-stick cooking spray makes your food slide off the pan but did you know that spraying it on your shovel will allow the snow to slide off easier? (April, 2010)

2.  I am not very adept at opening bottles of wine so inevitably when I do open a bottle, the cork breaks.   I was thrilled when I found out that if you use a coffee filter over the mouth of the bottle, I could pour wine for my friends without getting cork in their glasses. (April, 2010)

3. That tea steamer you bought a few years ago when you were gung-ho on using loose tea and it's been sitting in your utensil drawer with the other cool utensils you bought but never use?  Here is another use, next time you back cookies or brownies, you can use the tea steamer to dust the desserts with powdered sugar.  (April, 2010)

4.  Loved this one.  Lots of people hang up their pots and pans in their kitchens.  Cast Iron  pans are magnetic so you can tack up recipes or reminders for the week with magnets. (February, 2010)

5.  To keep your boots' shape, you can stick empty wine bottles in them (see #2).  I remember that my folks used rolled up newspapers to accomplish the same thing.

Do you have some ideas of other uses for items in your kitchen?

No comments:

Post a Comment