Search This Blog

Saturday, March 10, 2012

My apologies.....plus something actually useful

Hi All:

My apologies.  2011 was a difficult year overall and several thing fell to the way side.  Please know, I have been saving up snippets and articles over the last year, so lack of content has not been the problem.  Anyway, I am going to try to bring you 2 to 3 posts a week.  Hopefully, you will find somethings that are useful you too, and, please feel free to pass any on to your friends or family.

So, without further adieu, first and hopefully not last post of 2012.

About a couple of months ago, the knob on my dryer broke again.  This time, it appeared that no amount of duct tape was going to fix it this time.  I was without a dryer.  So, I started line drying my clothes, which is great during the winter since it added a little moisture to the air.  Not so great, was the fact that my clothes dried stiffly, not all soft like when they come out of the dryer.  Now, I had read (heard, so long ago, I can't remember) that using fabric softener on you towels makes them less absorbent over time so I didn't want to use the store bought kind.  I started looking online for other options, there were a number of recipes for homemade fabric softener, including one using hair conditioner.   I did find something online that suggested using a cup of vinegar and a cup of baking soda in a load of laundry.  I was already using vinegar in my laundry because it helps with general odors in the wash, as well as helps get out the smell of sweat in  shirts on warmer days.

I tried this and although the clothes are not "Downy" soft or totally snugly, they are less stiff and  baking soda is a little extra natural deodorizer.

The other added benefit to not using the dryer is I am using a little less energy, which does seem to be reflected in my gas bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment